This verse kind of sucks.
In the Bible, Matthew writes in chapter 9 verses 28-30 about two blind men following Jesus asking Him to heal them. Finally, Jesus asks them, “Do you believe I am able to do this?” They respond saying, “Yes, Lord.”
“Then he touched their eyes and said, ‘According to your faith let it be done to you’; and their sight was restored.”
Wow. Simply amazing.
However, sometimes I read these types of Bible stories and think, My faith SUCKS!
But then I remember another verse which explains the apostles felt the same as me, and Jesus encouraged them in Luke 17:5-6 by saying, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.”
Phew. The mustard seed starts out incredibly small, but grows into a very large plant. So even if my faith starts out small, it can grow to become very large! (Not that I know what a Mulberry Tree is, nor do I care to have it planted in the sea…)
So my question to you is: How BIG is your faith for marriage? Because, According to your faith…
Here are 3 questions to ask to determine the size of your faith:
- Do you constantly expect your relationships to fail?
- As in when you go on a date or meet potential prospects.
- Do you automatically think, He (or she) probably won’t like me, the moment you meet someone? Or think, This isn’t going to go anywhere…like every other time!
- Do you say you want to be married, but never think about marriage or pray for marriage?
- When someone has faith for something to happen, they end up acting on that faith. And when someone has little control over getting what they want, yet they have faith, then that action usually comes in the form of lots and lots of enduring prayer.
If your answer is yes to any of these questions, then your faith is kind of small. I’m not trying to be mean, but if you expect God NOT to answer your prayers regarding marriage, then that means you have little to no faith. However, I’m assuming you at least have some faith. And the good news is that little faith – the size of a mustard seed – when planted and watered, will GROW!
So imagine Jesus asking you, “Do you believe I am able to do this?” What is your answer? Then imagine: He touches your shoulder, looks you in the eyes and says, “According to your faith let it be done unto you.”
What would happen?
(Bible verses paraphrased and quoted from the NIV)